Training: ISTQB Courses
I have worked hard at creating an excellent portfolio of courseware supplementary products to enhance your experience of the courses that I provide.
If you would like to know more, provisionally book a course, or would like a quote to run any of the following courses on-site then please contact me.
This 3-day course is aimed at anyone wishing to attain the ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing. This qualification is a prerequisite for all further ISTQB qualifications in Software Testing.
- The course provides an understanding of the fundamental principles of testing and explains different testing terminology. The course also provides an overview of different test techniques and how to apply them, an insight into test management principles and explanation of 17 classifications of test tools.
- The course has been accredited by BCS and contains exercises, practice exams and games to highlight key aspects of the syllabus to assist the delegate in the understanding of the concepts and methods presented.
- The ISTQB Foundation exam is a 1-hour, 40 question multiple choice exam. The pass mark is 65% (26/40) and there are no pre requisites to taking this exam.
Agile testing is a relatively new approach to software testing that follows the principles of agile software development as outlined in the Agile Manifesto. A tester on an Agile project will work differently than one working on a traditional project. Testers must understand the values and principles that underpin Agile projects, and how they are an integral part of the whole-team approach together with developers and business representatives.
This course will give the Agile tester the knowledge they need to be an active member of an Agile team and how to achieve high performance within the team.
The course is highly practical addressing the following areas:
- The fundamentals of Agile Software Development and the various Agile approaches that are recognised and how these embrace the 4 values and 12 principles of the Agile Manifesto.
- How Agile projects differ from traditional projects and what methods are implemented to demonstrate the status of testing throughout the project.
- Practicing the role of the tester on an Agile project within a Scrum team and how to contribute to; estimating user stories, assessing quality risks, generating testable acceptance criteria and interpreting relevant information to support testing activities.
- How to use the various Black-Box techniques and apply the Exploratory Testing approach within an Agile project.
- Understand the various tools that support testing in an Agile project and how these differ from a traditional project.
This 4-day course is aimed at Test Analysts wishing to attain a higher qualification in software testing leading on from the ISTQB Foundation Certificate. The TA course builds upon the Foundation syllabus and provides essential skills for every Test Analyst.
The course is highly practical and laptops are recommended. On completion the Test analyst will be able to…
1. Perform the appropriate testing activities based upon the software development lifecycle being used.
2. Determine the proper prioritization of the testing activities based on the information provided by the risk analysis.
3. Select and apply appropriate testing techniques to ensure that tests provide an adequate level of confidence, based upon defined coverage criteria.
Techniques covered include:
a. Equivalence partitioning
b. Boundary value analysis
c. Decision tables
d. State transition testing
e. Use case testing
f. Classification trees
g. Pairwise testing
h. Domain analysis
i. User stories
j. Exploratory testing and
k. Defect based techniques
Characteristic test techniques include:
d. Usability and
4. Provide the appropriate level of documentation relevant to the testing activities.
5. Determine the appropriate types of functional testing to be performed.
6. Assume responsibility for the usability testing for a given project.
7. Effectively participate in formal and informal reviews with stakeholders, applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in work products.
8. Design and implement a defect classification scheme.
9. Apply tools to support an efficient testing process.
The ISTQB Advanced TA exam is a 3-hour multiple choice exam with the pass mark being 65%. You must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate in software testing in order to sit this exam.
This 5-day course is aimed at Test Managers wishing to attain a higher qualification in software testing leading on from the ISTQB Foundation Certificate. The TM course builds upon the Foundation syllabus and provides essential skills for every Test Manager.
The course is highly practical and laptops are recommended. On completion the Test manager will be able to…
1. Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organisation.
2. Organise and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control. They will learn specific risk mitigation activities to determine residual risk and can report them to project stakeholders so that informed decisions can be made.
3. Create and implement test plans consistent with the organisational policies and test strategies.
4. Estimate test effort and resource usage for projects using a variety of estimation techniques.
5. Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives.
6. Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders.
7. Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources.
8. Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team.
9. Process a business case for test activities, which outlines the cost and benefits expected.
10. Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders.
11. Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives.
12. Plan and implement the selection of different types of tools, including open-source and custom-built tools, such that risks, costs, benefits and opportunities are adequately considered.
Utilities, tools and templates will be provided during the course to help the Test Manager in their daily tasks.
The ISTQB Advanced TM exam is a 3-hour multiple choice exam with the pass mark being 65%. You must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate in software testing in order to sit this exam.
This 3-day course is aimed at Technical Test Analysts wishing to attain a higher qualification in software testing leading on from the ISTQB Foundation Certificate. The TTA course builds upon the Foundation syllabus and provides essential skills for every Technical Test Analyst.
The course is highly practical and on completion the Technical Test Analyst will be able to…
1. Recognise and classify the typical risks associated with the performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability of software systems.
2. Create test plans which detail the planning, design and execution of tests for mitigating performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability risks.
3. Select and apply appropriate structural design techniques to ensure that tests provide adequate level of confidence, based upon code coverage and design coverage.
a. Statement coverage
b. Decision coverage
c. Condition coverage
d. Modified condition coverage
e. Multiple condition coverage
f. Basis path coverage and
g. API coverage
4. Effectively participate in technical reviews with developers and software architects applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in code and architecture.
5. Recognise risks in code and software architecture and create test plan elements to mitigate those risks through dynamic analysis.
6. Propose improvements to the security, maintainability and testability of code by applying static analysis.
7. Outline the costs and benefits to be expected from introducing particular types of test automation.
8. Select appropriate tools to automate technical testing tasks.
9. Understand the technical issues and concepts in applying test automation, this includes specific issues relating to the use of open-source and custom-built tools as well as issues surrounding the different automation techniques.
The ISTQB Advanced TTA exam is a 2-hour multiple choice exam with the pass mark being 65%. You must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate in software testing in order to sit this exam.
This 1-day course is aimed at anyone who wants to attain the ISTQB Foundation qualification and wants extra help in preparing for the exam. This includes those who have unfortunately failed the exam previously but do not want to attend another 3-day course, those who have self-studied for the exam and those who would like extra preparation in order to gain more confidence in passing the exam.
- The course provides an overview of the ISTQB Foundation Course, exam techniques, mindmaps to help with revision and a full mock-paper which will highlight areas of potential weakness surrounding your knowledge of the syllabus.
This 1-day course is aimed at anyone who wants to attain the ISTQB Advanced qualifications and would like additional help in preparing for the exam. This includes those who have unfortunately failed the exam previously but do not want to attend another course, those who have self-studied for the exam and those who would like extra preparation in order to gain more confidence in passing the exam.
- The course provides an overview of the ISTQB Advanced Courses, exam techniques and mindmaps to help with revision.
- A full mock-paper which will be marked and individual feedback given. This will highlight areas of potential weakness surrounding your knowledge of the syllabus and will ultimately help focus on key areas for revision.
- Questions are dissected to reveal insight into how the question was constructed, the relation of the question to the scenario, how distracter answers work and the reason for the right answer.
- All ISTQB Advanced Qualification Exam preparation courses are available:
• Test Analyst Exam Preparation
• Test Manager Exam Preparation
• Technical Test Analyst Exam Preparation